Last Updated on October 3, 2022 by admin
Looking for a babymoon destination in Washington State? Well, look no further! I’m writing this post because Lake Chelan is an ideal spot to escape to before welcoming a baby. Let’s face it, planning for a baby is a lot of work. After months preparing your mind, body, and home for the new arrival, you deserve some time to take care of yourself. Lake Chelan is one of the most pristine lakes I have ever seen, and the city of Chelan is full of restaurants and boutique shops. It’s the perfect place to relax and restore. (I know from experience, because this is where we spent our babymoon!) In this post, I’ll share 10 reasons why Chelan is the perfect babymoon destination in Washington.
|Join our newsletter (linked here) for monthly updates!|
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. These sales help to run this blog without any additional cost to you. See our policy page for details.
What is a babymoon?
A babymoon is a “last chance” to get away and relax before the arrival of a baby. The idea is similar to a honeymoon, but instead of taking a vacation after getting married, you take a vacation before the baby arrives. It gives the expected parent(s) the chance to relax and focus on themselves. Planning for a baby can be a lot of work physically, mentally, spiritually, and financially, so it’s an important time to rest and recoup before the joy and hard work of the newborn phase.
10 Reasons Why Chelan is Ideal for a Babymoon
1. Relax By the Lake
By far the best thing to do when visiting Chelan is to spend time by the lake. It’s nourishing for the soul to hear the water gently lapping against the shore, to see the crystal-clear waters down to rocks below, and to smell the lake air. If that’s all you do on your babymoon, you’re doing it right!
There are several good options to relax lakeside. The first is Don Morse Memorial Park and Lakeside Park. The park is walking distance from downtown Chelan, and it has plenty of shoreline. (Over 2,000 feet!) There are picnic tables and benches, or you can bring a picnic blanket and make yourself comfortable. Bring a book, bring some snacks, and enjoy the afternoon.
Another beautiful park to visit is Lake Chelan State Park, approximately 10 miles from downtown Chelan. This park has a sandy beach and is a bit more remote if you want to be out of town and into nature. Just across the street from the state park is Watson’s Alpenhorn Cafe. They have great milkshakes if you need to take a break from the sun!
2. Relax by the Pool
When I was pregnant, floating in water helped me to feel so much better in my body. It’s also nice to cool down in the pool if you feel like you are getting too hot. You might want to consider booking a hotel or a home with a pool for that reason. The lake water is pretty chilly, but a heated pool might be just right.
If you’d like to stay in town, we recommend staying at Campbell’s Resort. They have swimming pools and 1800 feet of private beach so you get the best of both worlds.
3. Go to the Spa
Lake Chelan Massage and Spa is located conveniently downtown. If booking a massage, be sure to disclose that you are pregnant and inquire if they offer maternity sessions. They also offer facials.
4. Go Shopping
There are tons of cute boutique shops in downtown Chelan. There are gift shops, galleries, and specialty shops. It’s fun to spend an afternoon strolling through downtown and checking out all the shops. There’s also a farmers market with lots of fresh produce, crafts from local artisans, and delicious snacks. (Click here for current schedule.)
5. Stroll Along the Riverwalk
The riverwalk is a one mile loop at Riverwalk Park. You’ll walk along the river and boardwalk. The one mile scenic river loop is a beautiful place to go for a walk. We like to complete this walk at sunset after a nice meal.
6. Catch a Movie
It might be awhile before you get the opportunity for a date night at the movies. (Don’t worry, it’s worth it!) While you’re in town, you should check out the historic Ruby Theatre. It was built in 1914 and continues to show films to this day. It’s a one-screen theater, so they offer one film at a time.
7. Play Mini Golf
Located next to Don Morse Memorial Park is “The Green” Putting Course. You can play 18 holes of putt-putt with lake views.
8. Catch a Comedy Show
If you’re looking for a date night, check out Rotten Apple. A night on the town full of laughter is a great way to spend a babymoon.
9. Enjoy a Meal With a View
One of our favorite restaurants in Chelan is Sorrento’s Ristorante located at Tsillan Cellars. The restaurant was recently named a winner of the Top 100 Scenic View Restaurants in America (from the OpenTable Diners’ Choice Awards). The architecture at this winery is stunning and is also the perfect backdrop for some maternity photos. Enjoy an Italian meal here and then walk through the grounds to cap off a perfect evening.
10. Take the Lady of the Lake to Stehekin
Stehekin is a remote town 50 miles or so uplake from Chelan. There are no roads that lead there, so it’s only accessible by boat. You can catch the Lady of the Lake ferry and it will take you to Stehekin. We did this on our babymoon, and it was a great way to sit back and enjoy the views of the lake! We wrote a full post about our visit to Stehekin here.
Where to Stay at Lake Chelan
Our favorite hotel in Chelan is Campbell’s Resort. The resort has its own private beach, two heated pools, and dining on-site. It’s within walking distance to all of the major downtown attractions, so it’s a very convenient place to stay as well. If you dine at Campbell’s Pub and Veranda, ask for a table on their skybridge. You’ll be able to people-watch as you enjoy your meal.
We have also really enjoyed staying at the Grandview on the Lake. The hotel is located within walking distance of downtown and the rooms have a beautiful up lake view. Many of the units are condos, so they are fully equipped with kitchens. (You can make a reservation by clicking on this link.) You can read all about our stay at the Grandview on the Lake here.
If you’re looking for a private house rental, we really enjoyed staying at this property right on the lake.
For a full list on lodging options in Chelan, click here.
Best Time to Visit Lake Chelan
Chelan is a beautiful place to visit year-round, but we recommend visiting in June or September. It will still be very warm, but not as hot as during the height of summer. It will also be much less crowded in comparison to July or August.
What to Bring on a Babymoon to Chelan
Here are some suggestions for things to bring on your babymoon to Chelan:
- Insulated water bottle (got to stay hydrated)
- Portable charger (so your cell phone never runs out of battery)
- Comfortable walking sandals (Tevas are my favorite)
- Sun hat (protect your face from the sun)
- Maternity swimsuit
- Sunglasses (bring an extra pair in case you misplace the first pair)
How to Get to Chelan
Chelan is located in Eastern Washington. The eastern side of the state tends to get more sunny days each year, so it’s a great escape from Western Washington if you’re looking for some warmth.
From Seattle, the drive to Chelan is approximately 180 miles. You might also want to stop in nearby Leavenworth and add a day or two there to your babymoon. We wrote a full post on things to do in Leavenworth here. (And we list our favorite restaurants in Leavenworth here.)
Where to Eat in Chelan
We wrote a full post about restaurants in Chelan here. Below is our short list of good places to eat while in Chelan.
- Sorrento’s Ristorante: Romantic setting that serves Italian food with an award-winning view. 3875 Hwy 97A, Chelan, WA 98816
- Campbell’s Pub and Veranda: Centrally located downtown with sophisticated dishes. 104 W Woodin Ave, Chelan, WA 98816
- Lakeview Drive-In: Located right next to the shore, grab a burger, milkshake, and their seasoned fries. 323 W Manson Hwy, Chelan, WA 98816
- Blueberry Hill Farm: The perfect place for brunch. Try their homemade blueberry bakery items! 1315 Washington St, Manson, WA 98831
- Apple Cup Cafe: A small cafe that will give you hometown vibes. Go for breakfast! 804 E Woodin Ave, Chelan, WA 98816
- Fonda Oaxaqueña: It’s always a good time for Mexican food! The enchiladas oaxaqueñas are topped with the mole sauce signature of that region. 127 E Johnson Ave, Chelan, WA 98816
- Company Creek Pizza: I grew up going to this pizzeria every summer. Their pizzas do not disappoint. 502 W Manson Hwy, Chelan, WA 98816
- Local Myth Pizza: For more upscale pizza options, check out Local Myth Pizza. Order one of their famous specialty pies. 122 S Emerson St, Chelan, WA 98816
- Quick Wok: If you’re in the mood for Asian fusion, you have to visit Quick Wok. You can design your own stirfry meal. 908 E Woodin Ave, Chelan, WA 98816
Summary of Our Babymoon in Chelan
Lake Chelan is a beautiful retreat for some self-care before the arrival of a new baby. We hope this post was helpful in planning a babymoon to Chelan!
|If this article was helpful to you, please consider sharing it on your social media accounts to further help support our blog. Also, don’t forget to join our newsletter. Thank you!|
If you enjoyed this post, you might also be interested in the following posts:
- Gorgeous Vacation Home in Lake Chelan
- Our Stay at the Grandview on the Lake
- 12 Things to Do in the Remote Town of Stehekin
- 38 Things to Do in Leavenworth
- Full Review of the Posthotel
- 13 Best Restaurants in Leavenworth
- 10 Beautiful Hikes Near Leavenworth
- Full Review of Suncadia Resort
Disclaimer: We always strive for content accuracy. Since the time of publishing, travel-related information regarding pricing, schedules, and hours may have changed. Please see individual websites embedded in this post for the most current trip-planning information.
Follow us on Instagram to see our current stories!
- Full Guide to the Disneyland Paris Rides! (Photos, Ride Information, and More!)
- Remy of Ratatouille: Our Review of Bistrot Chez Remy and the Ratatouille Ride
- Disneyland Paris: Our Full Review and Best Tips!
- Grandview on the Lake: Full Review of Our Stay at Lake Chelan
- The Best Hotels in Port Townsend: Where to Stay for Your Next Trip!
- Our Review of the Flyaway Kids Bed