Last Updated on December 5, 2021 by admin
Mountlake Terrace is a suburb of Seattle, located about 14 miles north of Seattle within Snohomish County. It’s an exciting time for Mountlake Terrace, because plans are underway to build a new Town Center. There’s also current construction for the new light rail line, which will make traveling to Seattle so much easier.
Even though Mountlake Terrace is only four square miles, there’s quite a lot to do! I grew up in the Seattle area, and I always thought of Mountlake Terrace as a quiet little suburb. While it’s definitely a quiet neighborhood, there’s also plenty of activities to do. In this post, I’ll share 12 things to do in Mountlake Terrace, as well as our favorite restaurants and nearby activities.
Disclosure: I only share my honest opinions. This post may contain affiliate links that provide me a small percentage of any completed sales to help run this blog without any additional cost to you.
Getting to Mountlake Terrace
One of the best things about Mountlake Terrace is that there is really good public transportation. Community Transit, Metro, and Sound Transit all provide bus service from Mountlake Terrace to Seattle. The Mountlake Terrace Freeway Station makes it really easy to hop on a bus and head downtown. Construction for the new light rail line is also underway. Once that’s completed, it will be even easier to commute to the University of Washington, Capitol Hill, and downtown Seattle.
Travel Products We Recommend
These are the items we recommend bringing with you as you explore Washington State:
- Packable rain jacket (Even if rain isn’t in the forecast, the weather can change quickly. This rain jacket folds down small and can be easily packed in a bag for when you need it.)
- Comfortable daypack (When exploring the city, you’ll want a comfortable daypack to place all of your belongings, snacks, and souvenirs.)
- Portable charger (You’ll be using your phone for maps, navigation, and photos, so make sure you don’t run out of battery while you’re on the go. We like this one because it is slim and you don’t have to worry about packing extra cables.)
- Insulated water bottle (This water bottle will keep your water cooler for longer.)
- Comfortable walking shoes (When exploring a new city, you’ll be walking quite a bit. Make sure you have comfortable shoes! Brooks has been my favorite brand so far.)
10 Things to Do in Mountlake Terrace, Washington
We created this map to help you plan your activities:
1. Visit Ballinger Park
23000 Lakeview Dr, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Ballinger Park is a 55-acre park located along the shores of Lake Ballinger. The park has a boat launch, fishing pier, beach access, restroom facilities, barbecues, and picnic tables. There’s also large grassy areas, play fields for baseball and soccer, and a playground. The community clubhouse is available for rentals. It’s a beautiful place to spend a sunny summer day.
2. Watch a Movie at the Cinebarre
6009 244th St SW, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
This movie theater is one of our favorite places to go on a date night. With comfortable seating and a full menu, we’re able to have a burger and a cocktail while we watch a new movie. This movie theater is open for adults 21 years and older because there is a full bar in the lobby.
3. Play a Game of Disc Golf
23200 48th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Disc golf, also known as frisbee golf, is a sport in which you try to throw mini-frisbees into baskets. (Get yourself a disc golf set here!) Mountlake Terrace has one of the few disc golf courses in the Seattle area. This course has 18 holes in a hilly and wooded portion of Terrace Park. Be sure to bring a map of the disc golf course, because some of the baskets can be a little tricky to find. (Map linked here.)
4. Try Your Luck at Bingo
7016 220th Street Southwest Mountlake Ter, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Mountlake Terrace has a bingo hall at 220th High Stakes Bingo. We’ve been several times and have always had a lot of fun there. They are a non-profit Bingo hall, and proceeds help support the Seattle Junior Hockey Association. Just remember to play responsibly, and have fun!
5. Play a Game of Real Golf
6601 244th St SW, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
There is an 18-hole golf course at Nile Shrine Golf Course that is open to the public. You can choose to play either 9 or 18-holes. They have golf carts, early-bird rates, and discounts for juniors and seniors.
6. Go Ice Skating
22202 70th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
There is an ice skating rink that is open year-round at the Olympic View Arena. The arena has a full schedule of ice skating and hockey available. Be sure to check their website for the current schedule.
7. Head to the Casino
22003 66th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
In the Terrace Village strip mall there is a small casino called Crazy Moose Casino. Just be sure to play responsibly.
8. Go Swimming at the Pavilion
5303 228th St SW, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
The Mountlake Terrace Pavilion has a large indoor swimming pool that is open year-round. In addition to the main swimming pool, there’s also a shallow-water leisure pool, a lazy river, therapy pools, and a dry sauna. You can participate in swimming lessons or in open swim. It’s the perfect place to burn off energy and have fun!
In addition to the swimming pool, the Pavilion also hosts fitness classes, dance classes, and community events.
9. Go for a Walk through Terrace Creek Park
23200 48th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Terrace Creek Park is a 60-acre park that contains a playground, grassy field, and lots of trails. (In addition to the disc golf course mentioned earlier.) There’s approximately a two mile loop that runs through the forest and along the creek. (You can read about the trail details here.)
10. Play Soccer at the Evergreen Playfield Complex
22205 56th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
The city just installed a brand new soccer field at the Evergreen Playfield Complex. The new field has a synthetic turf surface that is good for all-weather, new LED lights, and new fencing. When there’s no matches going on, we often see kids running around the field and practicing soccer drills. In addition to the soccer field, there’s also 5 baseball/softball fields, 4 lighted tennis courts, and a 1/4 mile track. (There’s often big puddles on the track during the rainy season, but the new soccer field has a good drainage system.)
11. Attend an Event at the Library
23300 58th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
The Mountlake Terrace Library is part of the Sno-Isle library system. The library hosts a variety of events for children (such as reading groups and story time), adult educational events, and community events. Be sure to check their current schedule of online and in-person offerings.
12. Go for a Walk Along the Interurban Trail
The Interurban Trail is a 24 mile paved trail that winds through Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, and Everett. (A map of the full trail is linked here.) The Mountlake Terrace portion is about 1.6 miles.
|See our post on things to do in the nearby town of Edmonds.|
Best Restaurants in Mountlake Terrace
Turns out that Mountlake Terrace has some pretty delicious places to eat. Here’s our list of where to get the best food:
- Diamond Knot: The Diamond Knot Brewpub @ Mountlake Terrace is a popular restaurant and brewpub. Their burgers are delicious. (Our favorite is the Black & Blue Burger.) On-site you can see their full-scale production brewery, which produces up to 1,500 barrels of beer each year. Grab a pint, order a burger, and enjoy!
- Gabriel’s Fire: In the mood for barbeque? Check out Gabriel’s Fire! We especially like their brisket and pork ribs.
- Aliberto’s: For a quick meal, check out Aliberto’s Mexican food. The crisp beef tacos are our favorite thing to order.
- Szechuan Cuisine: Right next to Diamond Knot is Szechuan Cuisine, which is the place to go for Chinese food. We really enjoyed their General Tso’s Chicken and their Vegetable Lo Mein.
- Mazatlan: This Mexican restaurant is located right by the Cinebarre. We’ve often stopped there for dinner before a movie.
- Snohomish Pie Company: Turns out Snohomish Pie Company has a second location in Mountlake Terrace! They of course have excellent pies, but we also recommend their pie milkshakes!
- Las Espuelas: Mountlake Terrace has no shortage of good Mexican food! We really like the salsa at this place.
- Countryside Donut: The old fashioned donuts at Countryside are so delicious. We always pick up at least one of them when we visit!
- Hemlock State Brewing Company: This brewery opened up fairly recently and we are here for it. Their taproom has indoor and outdoor seating. It’s a fun place to hang out and have a pint!
- Urban City Coffee: One of the best places to grab coffee in the city is Urban City Coffee. Check them out! (And also see our post about the best coffee shops in the Seattle area!)
- Double D Meats: Although technically not a restaurant, this grocery counter sells high-quality meats, as well as aisles full of different types of barbecue sauce and hot sauce.
Events in Mountlake Terrace
Mountlake Terrace hosts several annual events that are a lot of fun. Be sure to check the websites listed below for an updated schedule. During the pandemic, many of the events were canceled, re-scheduled, or altered.
- Tour de Terrace: This summer festival takes place every July. There’s typically a parade, street fair, carnival rides, and live entertainment. The last time we attended this event, the deep fried oreos were my favorite!
- 3rd of July Fireworks: Why have fireworks on the 3rd of July? I honestly don’t know, but I like being able to stretch out the 4th of July fun a little bit by celebrating a day early!
- Arts of the Terrace: This art festival highlights local artists in the region. We have never been, but hope to attend one day after the pandemic.
- National Night Out: For one night each August, the city hosts the National Night Out event at the Evergreen Playfield. Kids will love to see police cars and fire trucks up close, and there’s also live entertainment and food booths.
- National Day of Service: Every September, the city hosts an event in which residents help clean up local parks.
Tree Lighting Ceremony: This event was cancelled this year, but we are hopeful that the city’s tree lighting ceremony will occur next year.
Where to Stay
If you’re looking for a place to stay in Mountlake Terrace, there aren’t too many options because it is such a small city. The only motel located within the city is Studio 6. We suggest you look for hotels in the nearby city of Lynnwood. Recommended hotels include the Embassy Suites by Hilton Seattle North Lynnwood property as well as the La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Lynnwood.
There are a lot of nearby activities within reach of Mountlake Terrace!
We recommend visiting the adjacent city of Edmonds, which is located along the shores of the Puget Sound. We wrote a full post about things to do in Edmonds here.
Mountlake Terrace is also only 14 miles away from Seattle. We wrote a full post about 101 things to do in Seattle here.
We hope you enjoyed this post about things to do in Mountlake Terrace!
|If this article was helpful to you, please consider sharing it on your social media accounts to further help support our blog. Thank you!|
You might also be interested in the following posts:
- 22 Things to Do in Edmonds
- 101 Things to Do in Seattle
- Our Guide to Seattle’s Best Restaurants
- 38 Things to Do in Leavenworth
- Why You Should Visit Snoqualmie Falls
- Photo Guide to Hiking Franklin Falls in the Winter
- 19 Things to Do on Bainbridge Island
- 20 Things to Do on Vashon Island
Feel free to follow us on Instagram!
- Visiting Hurricane Ridge in Washington (Full Guide)
- Full Guide to Visiting Third Beach in Washington
- Ruby Beach: One of Washington’s Best Beaches (Full Guide)
- Visiting Kalaloch’s Tree of Life in Washington
- Everything You Need to Know About Visiting Kalaloch Beach
- What to See at the Hoh Rain Forest (Full Guide!)