Last Updated on October 4, 2022 by admin
Planning a trip to Boston? Boston is the perfect getaway and one of our favorite places to visit. With tons of history, museums, and trendy restaurants, there’s something for everyone! Choosing the right hotel can really make or break your trip, so it’s important to find the perfect hotel for your visit. (We definitely prefer the hotels that are the most walkable to Boston’s historic sites!) In this post, we’re sharing our picks for the best Boston hotels on the harbor!
|Join our newsletter (linked here) for monthly updates!|
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. These sales help to run this blog without any additional cost to you. See our policy page for details.
Travel Tip: If you’re planning a trip to Boston, consider buying a Boston CityPASS. You’ll be able to save money if you plan on visiting multiple attractions. For instance, if you plan on visiting the New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Boston Harbor City Cruises, Franklin Park Zoo, or the Harvard Museum of Nature, we highly recommend that you look into purchasing the CityPASS. For more information about CityPASS, click here.
About Boston Harbor
Boston Harbor is part of Massachusetts Bay, and it’s located just to the east of Boston. Boston Harbor has had a pivotal role in many historical events to the formation of the United States. John Smith first landed in Boston Harbor in 1614, and the Boston Tea Party took place there in 1773.
The Boston Harbor has been home to the Port of Boston, which has been one of the United States’ most important commercial ports. For many years, all European imports came almost exclusively through Boston Harbor.
Boston Harbor also contains 34 islands, many of which are part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreational Area. You can easily hop on a ferry to explore several of these islands.
|41 Things to Do in Boston|
Advantages of Staying Near the Boston Waterfront
The Boston Waterfront contains lots of hotels, restaurants, and private residences.
There are a lot of advantages of staying near Boston Harbor, including:
- The Boston HarborWalk: This public walkway along the waterfront links many of the city’s popular attractions.
- Proximity to Historical Sites: There are many historical sites that are less than a mile from the waterfront, including the Old State House, Site of the Boston Massacre, and Faneuil Hall.
- Proximity to Cultural Sites: You can also easily walk to the Museum of Science, the New England Aquarium, and the Observation Deck at Independence Wharf.
- Boston Ferries: It’s so easy to hop on a ferry and head to Cape Cod or one of the many islands in Boston Harbor.
Best Boston Hotels on the Harbor
70 Rowes Wharf, Boston, MA 02110
The Boston Harbor Hotel is a 5-star hotel and is our primary recommendation for the best place to stay in the harbor. The hotel is actually a large resort with a prime location on the waterfront. The resort has elegant rooms and a lot of amenities. The resort has a fitness center, 60-foot lap pool, sauna, and steam room. Guests can dine at Rowes Wharf Sea Grille, or even order a picnic to take to the park.
For reservations at the Boston Harbor Hotel, click here.
3 Battery Wharf, Boston, MA 02109
The Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, is a 4-star hotel located right on the water. The luxurious rooms are a nice blend of traditional New England decor with contemporary features. The hotel is home to Exhale Spa, Battery Wharf Grille, and Cafe Amalfi. The hotel has a 24-hour fitness center and is pet-friendly. If you’d like a view of the harbor, the hotel does offer water view rooms.
For reservations at the Battery Wharf Hotel, click here.
296 State St, Boston, MA 02109
The Boston Marriott Long Wharf is a 4-star hotel located on Long Wharf and adjacent to Christopher Columbus Park. This hotel has the best pool (in our opinion) because it has giant glass windows that overlook the harbor. The Boston Marriott Long Wharf also has the restaurant Waterline and the Harbor Lite Cafe. Like the above hotels, the Boston Marriott Long Wharf also has a large fitness center.
For reservations at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf, click here.
87 Commercial Wharf, Boston, MA 02110
The Boston Yacht Haven Inn & Marina is a 10-room boutique inn located on Commercial Wharf. The property also has a 100-slip marina, if you’re planning on bringing your boat! When you stay here, you’ll receive a complimentary breakfast delivered to your room each morning. If you want to relax and enjoy the harbor views, we recommend staying at this hotel!
For reservations at the Boston Yacht Haven Inn & Marina, click here.
How to Get to Boston Harbor
Boston Harbor is located just slightly east of Boston’s downtown area. The Boston Waterfront is located less than a mile east of Boston Common (Boston’s central public park).
If you’re flying into Massachusetts, you’ll probably book flights to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS).
If you’re taking the train to Boston, there are three Amtrak stations in the city: North Station, South Station, and Back Bay.
If you’re driving to Boston, you’ll want to research rental cars and parking garages in advance. The Boston Common Garage is the most convenient place to park. It’s actually located underground beneath the park!
What to Pack for a Trip to Boston
Here are a few things we recommend that you bring with you:
- Comfortable Walking Shoes: You’ll be doing a lot of walking around town, so make sure you pack comfortable walking shoes. I’ve been wearing Brooks brand shoes for years and have loved them. I’ve linked them here for women, and here for men.
- Power Bank: We always keep a fully-charged power bank with us while we’re out exploring. That way, if our phone battery is running low, we can easily plug it in and re-charge on the go. We rely on our phones heavily for navigation and photography, so this product is a must for us.
- Water Bottle: We prefer to bring an insulated re-usable water bottle when we are out exploring.
- Travel Guides: When I moved to Connecticut, I brought a travel guide and it gave me so many ideas for weekend adventures. It also provided good historical background to the places I visited. I’ve linked a couple below.
(Click on any of the above images for current pricing and shipping information!)
Summary: Best Boston Hotels on the Harbor
We’ve visited Boston many times over the years. The harbor is really a beautiful place to stay, and these hotels are located near many of Boston’s most important historical sites. We hope this article was helpful in planning your own trip to Boston!
|If this article was helpful to you, please consider sharing it on your social media accounts to further help support our blog. Also, don’t forget to join our newsletter. Thank you!|
If you enjoyed this post, you may also be interested in the following posts:
- 10 Best Restaurants Near Boston Common
- 41 Things to Do in Boston
- 25 Things to Do at Boston Common and the Public Garden
- Full Guide to Walking the Freedom Trail in Boston
- Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts
- Fall Foliage in New England
- Full Guide to Visiting Connecticut
- 20 Best Things to Do in New Haven, Connecticut
- Full Visit Guide to Portland Maine
- 25 Things to Do in Hartford, Connecticut
- Guide to Acadia National Park in Coastal Maine
- 25 Things to Do in New Hampshire
- Best Things to Do in Vermont
Disclaimer: We always strive for content accuracy. Since the time of publishing, travel-related information regarding pricing, schedules, and hours may have changed. Please see individual websites embedded in this post for the most current trip-planning information.
Follow us on Instagram to see our current stories!
- 29 Things to Do in Pasadena, California
- How to See Paris in 2 Days: The Perfect Itinerary for the City of Light
- 21 Best Tips for Paris: Everything You Need to Know to Plan Your Trip!
- Our Stay at the Hotel du Louvre in Paris (Full Review!)
- Paris 5-Star Hotels: 26 Luxury Hotels in the City of Light
- The Best Hotels Near Disneyland Paris (Full Guide!)